The Solid Waste Management Association of the Philippines (SWAPP) is an organization of professionals and practitioners in the field of solid waste management is prepared to assist Local Governments like yours to meet their obligations under R.A. 9003 (The Ecological Waste Management Act).
All towns and cities of the country are required to have implemented by now, waste segregation, established a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), established a SWM Board, and closed their open dumpsites, among other things. However, what most LGUs are unaware of is that there are things that have to be done first to be able to accomplish these objectives, such as, waste assessment, organizing and planning for waste management, and making sure that waste management is sustained because there is a policy that supports it, there is participation from the communities and other sectors of the town or city, and the LGU has allocated a regular source of funding to sustain the system.
These activities and many more are within the capabilities and expertise of SWAPP that can be made available to you and other LGUs. A major part of knowing how to set-up a SWM system and how to sustain it is acquiring the knowledge, skills and values associated with SWM. SWAPP offers capacity development and training for LGU staff that can be customized to the particular needs of the LGU.
Training Programs Offered
- Managing Integrated Solid Waste Management Program
- Managing Market Wastes
- Waste Assessment and Characterization Study (WACS)
- Improving Municipal/Barangay Composting Projects
- Management and Utilization of Biodegradable Waste in Rural and Urban Setting
- Improving Solid Waste Disposal Facilities
- Improving Solid Waste Collection and Transport System
- Formulation and Development of 10-Year ESWM Plan
- Developing a Participatory Monitoring and Feedback System for SWM Program
- Establishment on a Barangay Solid Waste Management Program
- Developing a Community Based Information, Education and Communication (IEC) Program
- Establishment and Operations of a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF)
- Barangay Planning and Budgeting for SWM Program
- Orientation on Ecological Solid Waste Management
- Health Care Waste Management
- Sustainable Sanitation Management